While you may mean to convey one thought or idea, your body language could be detracting from your message. Cara Hale Alter has spent her life studying the ticks and tells that make up normal human body language and how they affect our presentation. Listen as we chat about ways you can use to become more cognizant of your body language and how you can begin to improve your non-verbal communication.
Cara has been working in the field of non-verbal communication for over 20 years and now helps leaders evaluate the physical presence and body language. The way you hold yourself could mean the difference between someone understanding and respecting you or thinking that you are incompetent, even if you’re brilliant.
She has made it her mission to help leaders everywhere become more effective with their non-verbal communication whilst boosting their confidence and their energy. She’s also a public speaker and author who provides training to some of the world’s best-known companies. In other words, she knows what she’s talking about.
If you’re concerned about the cues that your body language gives off, then you will definitely want to listen to this episode until the very end. Cara gives several examples of the key areas you should evaluate and focus on whilst providing quick tips you can use to help others see you for the professional you are.
- [01:44] How much do you think about your body language?
- [03:00] Learn more about Cara’s background and why she began studying body language.
- [04:12] Is it hard for people to recognize how we come off to others?
- [05:35] What are some of the most important cues or tells to focus on?
- [07:32] It is important not to stereotype behaviors and speech patterns.
- [09:16] Do women and men carry themselves differently in professional situations?
- [11:13] What’s the best way to really see yourself as you practice altering your body language?
- [12:47] How much of our body language derives from our confidence level?
- [14:07] Has Cara had any big AHA or UH OH moments as she began building her business?
- [16:16] What are some of the challenges she’s run into as her business has grown?
- [17:44] Cara shares what inspires her to keep going each day.
- [19:03] Learn some ways you can alter your visual perception in today’s world.
- [20:43] Why you should be attentive to your self-touch moments.
- [22:20] People tend to face the direction they want to go.
- [24:39] Cara shares her best advice for people looking to better pay attention to their body language.
- [25:59] Connect with Cara.
Links and Resources:
SpeechSkills on Twitter
SpeechSkills on Facebook
Watch the interview here.