When you’re the only woman in the room, but especially the only woman of color in the room, do you have a responsibility to help others rise up? Some would say yes, others no, but for Sonia Zeledon, it is her passion to reach back and pull others forward.
Sonia is an attorney who specializes in regulatory and compliance law. She’s now working with the Hershey Company after spending years working on international regulatory cases. And many times, she is the only woman in a room full of men who are working on international cases when they’ve never even left the country.
It is her passion to mentor the next generation and to give life and voice to those who are changing the mores of leadership in a professional setting. She has found her purpose in helping others’ to rise and she pays it forward by creating strong relationships with the next generation.
Listen as she shares more about her journey, why mentorship was so important as she started her career, and what she’s doing to give back. The 3Ps are an important part of her everyday life and she hopes to make them central to her mentees’ lives as well.
- [01:26] Why you need to focus on the 3Ps in life.
- [03:09] Learn more about Sonia and her journey to becoming a compliance attorney.
- [05:34] Was she oftentimes the only woman in the room?
- [07:08] Where does her passion and purpose come in?
- [08:37] What does it take for women to power up their own voices and passions?
- [10:12] Sonia shares her favorite thing to do in her role and in life.
- [11:17] How does she feel about millennials and Gen Z in leadership roles?
- [15:22] Hear about one of her big career AHA moments.
- [16:41] Her thoughts on fear and courage in growth.
- [17:47] Does she have a unique way of handling the stresses of her job?
- [18:27] Sonia provides advice for ways women can step into their 3Ps.
- [18:46] Connect with Sonia.
Links and Resources:
Sonia on LinkedIn
Episode’s sponsor: #EmpoweredWomen Spring 2021 Online Event on April 6, 7, and 8
Watch the interview here.