In the course of our 250 episodes (can you believe it?) on Women Worldwide, you’ve heard from successful and impactful women in business, politics, entertainment, and many other challenging industries. Now it’s time to chat with a high-powered woman from the law enforcement and intelligence field. This is a field that historically and today has been male dominated for a variety of reasons, but Lauren Anderson decided that there was no reason she couldn’t make it in intelligence as well.
Lauren grew up in a home where she was always told that she could do or be whatever she wanted. The sky was the limit for her dreams and ambitions and, looking back, she realizes that those dreams always pointed in the general direction of intelligence. She didn’t immediately start down that path however, she first decided that becoming a doctor was her calling. After spending several miserable years studying medicine, she switched paths.
After and during her amazing career with the FBI, Lauren has moved her focus to helping other women and young girls find their paths and battle gender inequity across the globe. Listen in as she recounts tales from her FBI days that propelled her desire to help other women succeed in male dominated fields.
Lauren holds nothing back in this interview. Her advice and recommendations are spot on for all women and men, not just those seeking careers in law enforcement. While she is always seeking to find gender equality, she has no desire to exclude the men in her life from her vast business and intelligence knowledge. As she says, find those partners in your career, be they women or men, and develop relationships.
This is the last show of 2019 and the 250th show of Women Worldwide and there couldn’t have been a better guest than Lauren Anderson. Can’t wait for you to hear her advice and everything she has to offer with regard to starting your own business and impacting women around the world.
Happy Holidays! Looking forward to serving you in the New Year!
- [02:06] Women Worldwide is going on holiday break!
- [03:26] Welcome Lauren Anderson, a strong woman in law enforcement and intelligence.
- [04:14] Lauren shares her journey to working in the FBI.
- [06:45] What kind of studies do you need to get into the FBI? What did Lauren study?
- [07:52] Learn what it was like to finish the FBI Academy and how many women there were.
- [09:17] Lauren chats about the most challenging aspects of the FBI Academy and the FBI.
- [11:53] Did she have to prove anything while working in the field to prove her worth?
- [14:26] What kind of skills did she have to develop to succeed in law enforcement?
- [17:23] How can leaders be more empathetic with their employees?
- [21:46] Why did Lauren decide to start her own consulting firm?
- [26:56] Lauren shares the resources she uses to stay on top of her field.
- [32:16] Hear Lauren’s best advice to women in difficult and underrepresented careers.
- [34:52] Connect with Lauren.
Links and Resources:
What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles
Geneva Centre for Security Policy on Twitter @TheGCSP
International Women’s Forum NY Chapter @WomensForumNY
Women’s Media Center
Red Dot Foundation/Safecity
Lauren on FBI Retired Case Agent File Review
Episode Sponsor: Feel First Test
Watch the interview here.