The words you speak and share have the power to change lives. This is true of everyone but even more so of our leaders and politicians. Helio Fred Garcia has spent his life studying the power of language because of his own experiences as a child. He knows first hand how words can change the world.
Fred came to America as an immigrant with little knowledge of the English language, a hard to pronounce name, and a very heavy accent. He was bullied to the point of terror and worse. But all it took was the help and guidance of one amazing teacher and he learned the language and found his place in the world.
It was as he was learning his new language that he realized the true power of words. He has since studied the patterns of speech used in the highest courts of the country and realized that many of the things being said today are reminiscent of scary times in history.
Listen as we chat about the power of incendiary language and how it is affecting us today. Fred shares examples from his book of moments in recent history that were directly responsible for loss of human life and barbaric treatment of those wishing to come to America.
Fred has so many amazing insights to share, but the most important is his view on how each and every one of us can stand up to the leaders who are still using incendiary language to incite the population. Listen in to learn more.
- [01:03] Welcome back to Women Worldwide.
- [02:00] Helio Fred Garcia is back to chat about his book Words on Fire.
- [03:01] How did he find himself drawn to the power of communication, words, and reputation?
- [06:03] What drove him to write his most recent book?
- [08:46] How can the normal person recognize verbal patterns that denote future acts of violence?
- [11:52] Fred shares things that you can do to address negative verbal patterns.
- [16:53] How does social media play into the change in politics as usual?
- [18:23] What changed to bring our government to its current place?
- [25:51] Will younger generations be able to confront the incendiary language?
- [29:34] Fred shares a parting bit of advice.
Links and Resources:
Words on Fire by Helio Fred Garcia
Fred on LinkedIn
Fred on Twitter
DISCLAIMER: Women Worldwide Note: This interview reflects a discussion with Helio Fred Garcia about his book, Words on Fire. The interview is not intended to be a complete analysis or reflect the express views of the Women Worldwide Network and show sponsors. Rather, we hope our network will digest the information thoroughly and, regardless of political views, raise your voices by casting your vote in the November 3rd election.
Watch the interview here.