Effective communication is the key to removing gender bias and promoting equity in business. Susan Freeman has made it her life’s work to help women in business find effective ways to communicate with the world while educating men on the right way to communicate with women in business. She has a passion for helping women succeed and has founded and co-founded several programs to help empower women and girls in finding their success.
She recently coordinated and sponsored the Empowered Women 2019 event which was her biggest event to date. Susan has made it her mission to help women and plans to continue the Empowered Women events for the next two years. (They’ve already been scheduled!)
Listen in to learn her biggest tips for promoting parity in the workplace and how leaders can better show and use empathy with their employees. She shares a poignant example of some people’s willful misunderstanding of the gender equality movement that you won’t want to miss. Her response to a blatantly abrasive question is masterful!
The tips and advice Susan shares in this episode are amazing reminders of how women can assert themselves without taking on the persona or antics of men. It’s also extremely refreshing to learn that there are men in business who are truly ignorant of the issues that women face in finding parity.
Are you ready to show up in the workplace armed with more knowledge on how and why women communicate differently than men? Then grab a notebook and get ready to learn.
- [02:11] Learn how to boost communication and promote equity with Susan Freeman.
- [04:36] How did Susan know that helping women find equity was her calling?
- [06:50] What are some of the different communication styles women and men use?
- [10:12] Does this apply to how men and women take up space in the room?
- [15:00] If hope is not a strategy, how do we change equity in the boardroom?
- [18:03] What can leaders do to become more empathetic?
- [25:32] Susan shares more information about the Empowered Women 2019.
- [28:05] How does it feel coming off her first big event?
- [35:08] Hear Susan’s advice for dealing with challenges in communication.
- [36:48] Connect with Susan.
Links and Resources:
Cara Hale Alter
Freeman Means Business Website
Susan on Facebook
Susan on LinkedIn
Susan on Instagram
Wonder Women in Business Podcast
Wonder Women in Business on Twitter
Empowered Women 2020
The Ultimate Women Associates’ Law Firm Marketing Checklist by Ross Fishman and Susan Freeman
Episode Sponsor: Feel First Test
Watch the interview here.