In a data-driven world, it can sometimes feel like building real relationships with others is impossible. Tricia O’Malley shares why that belief is less true now than it has ever been. Tricia is the Director of Client Relations and Marketing for Northwestern Mutual and has spent her career building REAL relationships with her clients, co-workers, and friends.
Tricia’s background in creating strong donor relations for hospitals has helped her create a world-class client experience. Listen in as she shares her best advice for nurturing relationships in all areas of your life. You won’t want to miss her comments on how touch can help solidify budding new connections.
Despite the ever-growing reach of social media and the online experience, when professionals take the time to set down the phone and make eye contact, their clients and customers feel heard and understood.
Tricia builds on this idea by sharing stories about her team and how she connects and builds deeper relationships with different personality types and ages. Don’t be fooled by demographics. It doesn’t matter how similar people appear on paper, we are each our own person. Recognizing those differences and being curious about them is one of the best ways to let others know that you care and are interested in them.
Building real relationships takes time and interest but is also integral to creating a thriving work environment. Tricia shares some amazing advice and pertinent “aha” moments that you won’t want to miss. Take a moment and grab a notebook. This episode is all about how you can win friends and influence people in your day-to-day life.
- [02:02] What are real relationships? How do they differ from regular relationships?
- [02:40] Welcome Tricia O’Malley to chat about how to create real relationships in your business.
- [03:50] Tricia shares her career journey and how she became a relationship manager.
- [06:00] Learn the most important characteristics a Director of Client Relations needs to have.
- [08:46] Tricia’s team only works with people who are interested in the process and the program. Learn why.
- [10:11] “Building a relationship starts with a seed of curiosity.” Tricia O’Malley.
- [12:04] A vital piece of relationship building was revealed to Tricia through How to Win Friends and Influence People.
- [13:30] Is it harder today to make people feel as if they matter?
- [15:10] Listen as Tricia shares a story about a superior experience she had after a non-profit event.
- [17:49] How does Tricia bring empathy into the workplace with her team and clients?
- [20:19] Hear Tricia chat about some of the “uh-oh” moments she’s had in her career.
- [25:20] Very early in Tricia’s career she had an impactful learning experience. Listen as she relates the story and her takeaways.
- [29:14] Tricia chats about stress and how she handles it.
- [31:53] Hear Tricia’s parting advice for how women can build better relationships and careers.
- [33:04] Connect with Tricia.
Links and Resources:
Tricia on LinkedIn
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Episode Sponsor: Feel First Test
Watch the interview here.