Vulnerability in leadership. They seem like two completely disconnected concepts but what Terese Lam has found is that vulnerability builds trust. That is the key to keeping your company connected while working remotely.
Terese Lam started her life and her journey in Australia. She had a love for culture and HR and made her career in building company relationships. Through a series of fortunate events, she made her way to the U.S. and is now the Chief People Officer of Wind River.
While she’d already had a fairly vast remote team, there were still opportunities within the company to visit both remote and in-person teams. This past year took all that away. What has she done to keep her teams connected and thriving?
They have definitely incorporated more Zoom meetings but it’s the content of the meetings that have really changed. Instead of getting right to business, time is spent just getting to know more about her team, their lives, their struggles, and how they’re feeling about their world and work.
That little touch of the personal has made it possible for relationships and bonds to grow even stronger. Additionally, Terese is becoming more and more comfortable with showing her own vulnerability, both in her leadership and in her life.
Listen in to learn all of the amazing nuggets that Terese has to share. What do you think you could incorporate into your own culture to build stronger relationships within teams?
- [02:36] Welcome Terese Lam to the show and learn more about her background.
- [05:09] How Terese made it to the U.S. from Australia.
- [06:57] What helps people to thrive in a company?
- [10:39] Terese shares how they’ve made up for the in-person touchpoints that have been lost.
- [14:39] Has she found that personal connection has increased in the workplace?
- [16:10] One of Terese’s learning moments as she’s grown in her career.
- [18:47] Why vulnerability is important in a leadership team.
- [22:19] It is so important to face your fears as a leader and to lead with empathy.
- [23:26] How is she staying focused and motivated?
- [24:46] Terese’s advice for staying close and bonding despite the distance.
- [26:11] Connect with Terese.
Links and Resources:
Terese on LinkedIn
Watch the interview here.