What would you do if you or your spouse was suddenly completely incapacitated by a rare but highly devastating disease? If your answer is, “I don’t know,” then you are completely normal. Unfortunately for Molly Weisgram, she found out the hard way.
Just a few short years ago, Molly had recently had her fourth child and she and her husband were settling into a new routine. One day he started experiencing tingling and numbness in his extremities and within days he was completely paralyzed.
They found out that he had Guillain-Barre Syndrome and that they were going to be on a lifelong path toward health and recovery. Through learning what she and her kids could handle and keeping up the positivity needed to help speed recovery, Molly knew she was going to have to write it all down.
She has since authored, The Other Side of Us, her memoir documenting the struggles and wins of their experience. Listen as she shares her journey and her advice for anyone facing the same or similar situation. Plus she details why and how she helped her kids process all of their emotions through this time as well.
- [02:32] Welcome Molly Weisgram to the show and learn what pushed her to write her new book.
- [03:30] What does she want readers to know and to take away from her book?
- [04:56] Learn more about the medical crisis her family has faced and how it has impacted them.
- [07:50] People can come back from this diagnosis but it looks different for everyone.
- [08:46] What was going on in her mind as she faced this trauma?
- [11:55] How old were her children when all of this started?
- [13:48] Did her spiritual studies help her process through this experience?
- [15:10] Molly shares how she and her husband reframed the situation and how her husband is doing now.
- [18:05] How did she deal with stress during these times?
- [21:41] Why she wanted to show her kids how to process the trauma in a healthy way.
- [23:01] Her parting advice regarding trauma, truth, and restoration.
- [24:00] Connect with Molly.
Links and Resources:
The Other Side of Us by Molly Weisgram
Molly on Facebook
Molly on Instagram