*We apologize for any issues with sound quality. Due to the ever-changing state of the world because of Covid-19, many of our guests are taking interviews and recording shows outside of their homes which interferes with the recording.*
When Helen Owens was just 11 years old she started losing her hair. She was sure she was dying but later found out that she has an autoimmune disease called alopecia. When she was scared and being bullied, the “granny” of her neighborhood pulled her aside and changed her life forever.
Granny made wigs and showed a young Helen how to do the same. In that time, at that young age, she knew what she was meant to do with her life. By the time she was 17, Helen was married with two kids and had dropped out of college, but she was not ready to give up her dream.
She worked as a maid to put herself through cosmetology school and as soon as she got her license started working out of her home. Word spread like wildfire about the amazing work she was doing with wigs and her business started booming.
As she got to know her clients better and better she realized that many of the women she worked with were very sick. She was helping women find comfort and solace during some of the most difficult times in their lives and it was then she realized she’d found her bigger purpose.
Helen’s entire career has been built through triumphing over adversity and always serving from a place of love and acceptance. Listen in as she tells her story and invites us all to find and give more kindness to those around us.
- [01:51] Helen Owens is no stranger to tough times and those times have fueled her journey.
- [03:02] How did Helen find her greatest purpose through very rough circumstances?
- [05:35] Learning how to make wigs changed Helen’s life.
- [08:31] By the age of 17 she was married with two kids and had dropped out of high school, but pursued cosmetology.
- [11:01] When she realized she wasn’t just helping with hair loss she knew that she found her bigger purpose.
- [13:18] How Finding Our She-Compass was born.
- [16:27] Can you work hard, help others, and still focus on your personal goals?
- [17:33] How can your She-Compass help you as you go through life obstacles?
- [20:01] We need to spread love, kindness, and joy like wildfire in times like these.
- [23:26] What kinds of challenges does Helen face today and how does she approach them?
- [26:24] Helen shares the one bit of advice she’d like everyone to leave with.
- [28:18] Connect with Helen.
Links and Resources:
Episode Sponsor: Routledge
Watch the interview here.