Ethics is a huge issue in business and in life. What happens when you break all the rules of ethics in business? Sometimes it leads to time in prison. Listen as Richard Bistrong shares his story and why he’s passionate about companies leaning into a culture of ethical behavior.
For the first part of his career, Richard was in sales. Instead of always choosing the ethical path, however, he engaged in criminal activity to the tune of bribing foreign leaders. For this, he was put in jail for several months, but he realized the error of his ways and used the time to prepare for a new lease on life and business.
He is now a consultant on foreign bribery, ethics, and compliance issues as well as a writer and speaker. He is adamant that the way to move away from tense ethical situations is to instill a corporate culture of ethical behavior at every level.
It is so much easier for employees and the C-suite to make ethical decisions at any time when it is clear that ethics is a core value.
Richard is sharing all about his story and how it has made him a wonderful teacher on a very tough topic. He has a lot to share about ethics and is now also offering online learning. Listen in to learn more.
- [01:20] What do you need to know about being an ethical role model?
- [03:20] His journey from corruption to compliance.
- [06:14] Richard shares how he became aware of Deirdre.
- [07:47] Listen as Richard elaborates on the forward he wrote for Deirdre’s new book.
- [09:54] Who is an ethical marketer?
- [12:45] An AHA moment that has stuck with him throughout his career.
- [14:47] Is the need to ask for help the difference between decision making now and the past?
- [16:23] Are his accountability partners professional and personal?
- [17:03] Is he still experiencing challenges in his career today?
- [19:14] How does he stay focused and motivated to get everything done?
- [21:31] What is he reading?
- [22:37] Richard shares his advice to the Women Worldwide community.
- [23:49] Connect with Richard.
Links and Resources:
Social Media and Public Relations by Deirdre Breckenridge
Putting the Public Back in Public Relations by Deirdre Breckenridge
Answers for Ethical Marketers by Deirdre Breckenridge
Can You Hear Me? by Nick Morgan
Power Cues by Nick Morgan
Richard on LinkedIn
Richard on Twitter
Richard on YouTube
Richard on Instagram
Richard on Facebook
Watch the interview here.
This interview is © Women Worldwide and Front-Line Anti-Bribery LLC, all rights reserved. Downloading and distribution of content is strictly prohibited in all or in part. For more information on Richard’s work, he can be reached via his website www.richardbistrong.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Photo credit: Johannes Worsøe Berg